The Georgia Chapter of the Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals was chartered in October 1994 for the purpose of providing a Georgia-based source for the recognition and advancement of Professionals managing Hazardous Materials and Hazardous Waste, including the Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) and other related professional designations.
AHMP-Georgia Chapter is a professional organization that provides value to our members by focusing on:
- Advocating for our membership while enhancing government relations and public relations
- Supporting legislative and regulatory recognition of the CHMM credential and other professionally-related designations
- Creating opportunities for professional growth by encouraging educational programs and peer networking
- Strengthening our membership and partnership base
- Improving management and governance operations
- Providing superior educational resources and opportunities
The Chapter’s mission is to provide a balanced program for its members including:
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Regulatory Compliance and Policy
- Science Technology
- Hazardous Materials and Hazardous Waste Handling, Emergency Response, and Remediation
- Strategic Environmental Management
Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals
AHMP-Georgia Chapter is a proud member of the Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals™ (AHMP), formerly the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers, Inc. (ACHMM). AHMP is a professional association with a membership of more than 4,000 of the nation’s leading experts in environmental, health, safety and security management, including professional designations such as CHMM, CIH, and CSP.
AHMP is the only national organization devoted to the professional advancement of the hazardous materials and hazardous waste management field. Members are distributed across 56 chapters in 37 states plus the District of Columbia. In 2006, AHMP established its first international chapter in Bangalore, India.
AHMP is headquartered at the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) campus near Washington D.C.
Certified Hazardous Material Manager Credential
The CHMM credential is accredited by the Institute of Hazardous Materials Management (IHMM). Founded in 1984, IHMM is a nonprofit organization that protects the environment and the public’s health and safety through the administration of credentials recognizing professionals in the government, private, and corporate sectors who have demonstrated a high level of knowledge, expertise, and excellence in the management of hazardous materials and hazardous waste.
Nearly 15,000 homeland security, environmental protection, engineering, health sciences, transportation, and public safety professionals have earned IHMM’s accredited Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) credential. IHMM also administers the Certified Hazardous Materials Practitioner (CHMP) credential and the Hazardous Materials Manager-in-Training (HMMT) program. IHMM is governed by a Board of Directors and is headquartered in Bethesda, MD.